Media & Community Events
IN THE NEWS
Global Education Times (May 2020)
In their weekly roundup in moving entirely online, they highlight my recommendations for online learning, “Dr Anna CohenMiller, from Nazarbayev University in Kazakhstan, shares four ways professors are mastering online teaching.”
EXPOsing gender in science: a visual analysis with lessons for gender awareness and science diplomacy (2020, Feb)
The Gender Forum (2019, June)
- Developed through a grant with the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy, sponsored from the Office of the Provost, and coordinated by The Consortium of Gender Scholars, I was central to developing and leading the Executive Conference Committee in the development and institution of the first gender forum of this format in the region. June 13-14, 2019, Nur-Sultan (Astana), Kazakhstan.
- Hosted on the Nazarbayev University campus and coordinated by The Consortium of Gender Scholars (GenCon), the Forum seeks to bring together interested parties to explore a range of areas related to gender with the goal of raising awareness and building bridges between researchers, policy makers, and practitioners to advance gender equity in Central Asia. The primary language of the Forum was English with translation provided for some sessions in Russian and Kazakh
- Interviews and social media can be viewed at @genderscholars on Instagram and on Facebook at The Consortium of Gender Scholars.
ROUNDTABLES & PANELS
COVID, Mothers, & Work: Finding a Way Forward: Panelist. International Association of Maternal Association and Scholarship. (2020, July)
Interview about Equity and Diversity in Higher Education: Navigationalist Podcast (2020, July)
Invited by Jimmy Chefan, Assistant to Vice President of Equity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement at Madison College, I spoke about steps for equity and inclusion in higher education, focusing on steps to facilitate the success of historically marginalized communities, such as mothers in academia.
Panel for Motherscholars: Moderator. Nazarbayev University Library, Astana, Kazakhstan. (2019, March)
Panel: Mothers and Scholars: speaker & moderator. Nazarbayev University Library and Consortium of Gender Scholars. Astana, Kazakhstan. (2018, March)
- In this panel, I was invited to be a key speaker and moderate discussion with faculty and students across the University to explore the experiences of mothers working and learning within higher education. This was one of the first events for Week of Women at the University.
Cooperative Learning Workshop to Learn, Deeply Reflect, and Advocate for Graduate Student Mothers – facilitator & coordinator. Indiana University, Bloomington, USA. (2017, July)
- The project provides a forum for graduate student mothers to come together with international specialists studying and working with mothers in academia. Through a full day, cooperative workshop, participants will (1) learn about research in the field of mothers in academia, (2) be guided through deep reflective practice and collective sharing—a form of feminist practice of oral history (Berger Gluck, 1991), (3) identify campus/community needs specific to the concerns of mothers in academia, and (4) develop advocacy platform to address campus and community needs.
- Guest speakers included: Dr. Lisa Wolf-Wendel and Dr. Denise Demers
Academic Mothers and Multiple Roles: speaker – WIN Breakfast Talks, Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan. (2016, April)
- Hosted by the Office of the Provost, I was invited to speak about within the set of seminars to discuss the multiple roles of academic mothers.
- These seminars aim to demystify some aspects of academic careers. They provide an opportunity to meet colleagues from other Departments, Schools and units and share a cup of tea. All NU faculty, teaching assistants and staff, women and men, are very welcome.
Motherhood and Scholarship – KGNU, a series of radio shows hosted over more than 30 years, from Boulder, Colorado. (2019, Feb)
- “From 8.35-9am Joe Juhasz hosts Good Ol CU with guest Anna Cohenmiller Assistant Professor & Co-Founding Director of The Consortium of Gender Scholars Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education, Republic of Kazakhstan. She is founding director of The Motherscholar Project (www.motherscholar.org); Founding Co-Editor and Editor-in-Chief: Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy (www.journaldialogue.org) The topic is Mother Scholars in Academia.”